February 6 – 11, 2023
POST Control #: 1185-32109-22001
POST Plan: IV
Location: Fresno Police Department Regional Training Center, 6375 West Central Avenue, Fresno, CA 93706
COURSE DESCRIPTION: This 60-hour course is designed for sworn and non-sworn law enforcement personnel responsible for firearms training in their agency or organization. The course includes:
- Safety protocols
- Lesson plan development
- Training documentation
- Course of fire development
- Safely running a range
- Lethal force options
- Adult learning concepts
COURSE INSTRUCTORS: Taught by instructors from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Weapons Training Unit who have extensive experience training new firearms instructors, recruits, and in-service personnel in firearms operations and instructional techniques.
- Bring an agency lesson plan, course of fire, and qualification standard.
- Pass at least one CATO pistol, shotgun, and carbine standard to successfully complete the course.
- Successfully run range drills under the supervision of an instructor.
- Conduct a 60-minute team presentation on a firearm course of fire.
- Pass a 25 questions final exam with a score of 100%.
- Bring 2,000 rounds of pistol ammunition, 1,000 rounds of carbine ammunition, 200 rounds of duty shotgun ammunition (00 buckshot), and 50 rounds of duty shotgun slugs.
- Bring deployable tactical gear including vest, helmet, gloves, hearing protection, clear eyes, shot timer, whistle, BDU style uniform, and weapon cleaning supplies.
- Prior to class, provide type of pistol, shotgun, and carbine that will be used during the course.
Students are required to qualify with pistol, shotgun and carbine on the first day of class. The qualification courses will be provided before the course begins, giving students time to practice and prepare for the courses of fire. Failure to qualify will be grounds for dismissal from the course.